..go to the Waifs and Strays tree.
The name McBroom is derived from an ancient Gaelic surname, Mac an Bhriuthain, that means "son of the judge." The McBrooms were not a Highland or Lowland clan, but a small family that lived in the far South Western district of Scotland called Galloway.
The earliest McBrooms recorded are three brothers named David, Andro, and Bartholomew, and their sister, Janet. They are mentioned in the records of Kirkcudbright and Dumfries Scotland.
Andro McBroom never married, but was burgess (mayor) of Kirkcudbright and a member of the town council; however, in the year 1576 he was charged with dealing with pirates.
Bartholomew married and had two children, but neither lived to adulthood.
Janet McBroom, the sister, was banished from Kircudbright in 1588 for what the town council called "bad behaviour." She was scourged and burned with a brand on her shoulder and ordered banished from the community forever.
David McBroom died in 1580 in Kirkcudbright. His great-grandson, John, graduated from Glasgow University in 1655. Between 1660 and 1662 he was the minister of the Presbyterian Church in the sea coast town of Portpatrick. At this time, the English were trying to force the Presbyterian Scots to adopt the "papist" Church of England practices. The Presbyterian minister, John McBroom, was ordered to leave Scotland. He and his family fled Scotland for Northern Ireland. From 1662 to 1682 he served as pastor of the Anahilt Presbyterian Church in County Down, Ireland.
A couple of generations later, John's grandson, James, left Ireland to look for more favourable economic conditions in America. James, his wife Mary Jackson McBroom, and their children arrived in the United States sometime in the 1720's. Mary Jackson was the grand-aunt of President Andrew Jackson.
Because James, Mary and their children, James II, Thomas, Margaret, Janett, Elizabeth, and Mary, came as a family, it is assumed they came as fare-paying passengers, not as indentured servants as were many Irish immigrants. By 1730, they had an established land improvement in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.